Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Books I Don't Have: Waiting on Wednesday, On My Wishlist, and Recently TBR'd

Here are all my memes I'm participating in which I can highlight books I want to read, own, or am coveting. Enjoy!





Waiting on Wednesday


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:



Flame of Surrender: The Ferryman and the Flame by Rhiannon Paille

The boy who follows death meets the girl who could cause the apocalypse.

Krishani thinks he’s doomed until he meets Kaliel, the one girl on the island of Avristar who isn’t afraid of him. She’s unlike the other girls, she swims with merfolk, talks to trees and blooms flowers with her touch. What he doesn’t know is that she’s a flame, one of nine individually hand crafted weapons, hidden in the body of a seemingly harmless girl.

Nobody has fallen in love with a flame until now. She becomes Krishani’s refuge from the dreams of death and the weather abilities he can’t control. Striking down thousand year old trees with lightning isn’t something he tries to do, it just happens. When the Ferryman dies, Krishani knows that he’s the next and that a lifetime of following death is his destiny.

And Kaliel can’t come with him. The Valtanyana are hunting the flames, the safest place for her is Avristar. Krishani can’t bear to leave her, and one innocent mistake grants the Valtanyana access to their mystical island. They’re coming for Kaliel, and they won’t stop until every last living creature on Avristar is dead. She has to choose, hide, face them, or awaken the flame and potentially destroy herself.

I'm also taking part in the blog tour for this one. Another thing to get excited about!

On My Wishlist



On My Wishlist is a fun weekly event hosted by Book Chick City and runs every Saturday. It's where I list all the books I desperately want but haven't actually bought yet. They can be old, new or forthcoming. It's also an event that you can join in with too - Mr Linky is always at the ready for you to link your own 'On My Wishlist' post. If you want to know more click here.

Today I'm highlighting an older addition to my wishlist.


Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: track, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, now stained red and dripping with blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

But she, for whatever reason, spares Cas's life.  


This just looks awesome. How could I NOT add it to my wishlist. I'm starting to sense a theme though. I really do like the idea of reading about dead girls.

You can see my full wishlist here.




Recently TBR'd

Here is a recent addition to my "to-be-read" list on Goodreads:


 Numbers by Rachel Ward

Whenever Jem meets someone new, no matter who, as soon as she looks into their eyes, a number pops into her head. That number is a date: the date they will die.

Burdened with such an awful awareness, Jem avoids relationships. Until she meets Spider, another outsider, and takes a chance. But while they’re waiting to ride the Eye Ferris wheel, Jem notices that all the other tourists in line flash the same number. Today’s number. Today’s date. Terrorists are going to attack London. Jem’s world is about to explode!

I added this one shortly after finishing up Forgotten by Cat Patrick. It was recommended by my library catalogue. They started to use a program called Novelist to make recommendations on the catalogue pages. I really liked Forgotten (review this week!) and really like the idea of contemporary books like this (weird? spooky? what's the word I'm looking for here?).

You can see my full TBR list here.




So, what are you waiting for? What's on your wishlist? What have you added recently? Leave me a comment or a link for me to check out :)
 

4 comments:

  1. Flame of Surrender and Anna Dressed in Blood look really good - I really want to read them so bad!

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna was really awesome I hope you enjoy it too! Great books!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads
    Btw- I'm giving away an ARC of Legend and it ends tonight if you haven't entered yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo I definitely want to get my hands on Anna FORSURE. And Flame of Surrender looks AWESOME. I've been looking at Numbers for awhile too. Great picks!

    My Wow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of Numbers but wow, it sounds thrilling or suspenseful or something. I think I really want to read it now too. And that red eye on the cover is so freaky!!! :)

    ~Asheley

    ReplyDelete