Thursday, October 27, 2011

Book in Review: She Smells the Dead (Spirit Guide #1) by E.J. Stevens

Cover


Publisher:

Sacred Oaks Press

Summary:

It's the beginning of senior year and Yuki's psychic awareness of ghostly spirits is threatening to ruin her life. Her ability to sense spirits of the dead isn't glamorous like on TV. SHE SMELLS THE DEAD. Yuki is being visited in her dreams and suspects that her friend Calvin is involved in something strange. Will Yuki be able to save the spirits and herself?

Why I Read This:

Because I wanted to! Actually, it's the cover that made me do it. Plus the promise of something different and unique.

Thoughts:

Adorable! I know that's an unexpected way to describe this book considering the cover is so haunting. I was kind of surprised by it myself.

Yuki is the best. She is basically bullied by some "popular girls" because of the way she dresses and because she is different. But she is strong and holds true to herself. Then there is Emma who is so concerned with different issues. Weird, strange issues like saving the bees. But you can tell she genuinely cares even though she is annoying to others about it. Plus she's an awesome friend to Yuki so you just have to love her anyway. And Calvin is the cutest! In how many books do you actually see the guy sobbing because his feelings are hurt? All three of them together make a unique trio and I just wanted to see them all have a wonderful time together.

Then there is the mystery. This is the part that actually is creepy in that paranormal way. Because Yuki doesn't see the dead, she smells them. You don't get a visual of what is happening with the ghost so you don't know why the smell is getting stronger and stronger. Is the ghost angry? Is she on the wrong track? The right track? I had to keep myself guessing. It was also very hard seeing Yuki have to sneak around and trick some people into giving out information after being introduced to her after seeing what a great person she is. But I thought this part was so interesting and unique and I applauded Yuki when she finally figured out how to use the smell impressions to her advantage.

Oh yeah...did I mention there are werewolves in this book? I wasn't expecting werewolves in a book about ghosts but it really worked! I loved the way E.J. Stevens introduced them to us and how they actually fit into the story.

Everything about this book is unique. I had fun and I hope you'll check it out too. I just wish it was longer! It did seem a bit short. Or maybe that the books come out faster!




My Rating:

 3.5/5 but calendars don't come in half days ;)


Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.

Related Posts:

Interview with E.J. Stevens


3 comments:

  1. awesome review! thanks for sharing! and... did u say werewolves? hell! I need this one!

    happy reading ^.^

    http://dazzlingreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a quite interesting book! Thank you for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol i love that. "adorable!" I didn't expect to hear that judging by what the book is about, but sounds like you enjoyed it! :)

    here's my latest review if you want to stop by and leave the author some love!! http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/ashfall-review.html

    ReplyDelete