Thursday, October 6, 2011

Book in Review: Forgotten by Cat Patrick


Cover:




Publisher:

Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Summary:

Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

Part psychological drama, part romance, and part mystery, this thought-provoking novel will inspire readers to consider the what-if's in their own lives and recognize the power they have to control their destinies.


Why I Read This:

I saw a review from a local bookseller blog that was incredibly positive. It got me really interested in the book.

This also counts towards my 2011 Debut Author Challenge.

Thoughts:

This was such a wonderful book! First of all, I just loved London. She was such a positive character despite her cercumstances and all that she learned about herself, family, and friends throughout the story. Luke was adorable. I loved that his idea of a perfect date was looking at the stars through the sunroof of his mini-van after having takeout pizza.Their romance was so sweet.

But characters and romance aside, this book had so much to offer. There is the fresh, easy reading style that the writing makes possible. There is the mystery of London's visions and what they mean for her real-life future. And the memory aspect? I thought it was so unique how Cat Patrick played the daily memory loss story by adding something I've never heard of before - London can't remember the past but she can remember the future. Which means London can remember people - as long as they continue to be in her future. So why can't she remember Luke? This book was a page-turner for sure. Every time I put it down I was drawn to looking at the cover just so that somehow I might be able to soak up the story while not actually reading.

I only have one complaint. Despite how awesome I thought the story was though there were a few things I felt were left unexplained or underdeveloped. I wished the story was just a little longer, maybe with an epilogue. A lot of things about the future are implied at the end but I felt like I wanted to actually see those things through as well.

A wonderful read! You should all pick up Forgotten by Cat Patrick when you get a chance :)

My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I read a library copy.

Related Posts:

Friday Teasers: Book Beginnings, The Friday 56, and Trailer

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I've been wanting to read this one for a while. It sounds like an original premise and despite the few unexplained things you seem to have really enjoyed it.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete