Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Interview with Rhiannon Paille, upcoming author of Flame of Surrender

Welcome, Rhiannon to the blog! She is an author whose first book will be published November 1st, 2011. It was just picked up by a publisher, Coscom Entertainment. Congratulations are in order! Today Rhiannon will be answering some fun and informative interview questions for us.


Prelude: Intro

Tell us a little about yourself and the book(s) you've written...

I’m not normal. I guess I'm a bit of an odd ball. I work as a metaphysical therapist, and help people sort out their lives. Then I write books about kissing and death. Flame of Surrender is about the boy who follows death, falling in love with a girl that's a weapon of mass destruction. It's a YA Fantasy with some paranormal romance and some historical and some epic and some dystopian.




Part One: Your books and writing

Do you have a favourite line or two from one of your book(s)? What is it?


Oh, I have a few, but here are my top three. J

“Your destiny is greater than your love.”

“Death was impossible for him, he could wait ten thousand years and she wouldn’t recognize him.”

“She was a weed, a weed that bloomed from the inside out.”


What is your favorite thing about writing?

The imagination part. I usually watch my scenes over and over again before I write them down. Seriously, some of these scenes have lived in my head for years before they finally get to the paper. Those are the scenes that work out the best, the rest just fills in the blanks. I love it when I can imagine each scene in my head, moment to moment, when I’ve got the outline written. J

Would you like to see your book turned into a movie? Who would play the main characters?


I’ve thought about this because I’m actually in pre production for the book trailers and I’m doing it with a full cast and crew (with some volunteers) So right now I have Samantha Wiebe and TJ Young playing Kaliel and Krishani. If it ever gets optioned for film I can see Sam auditioning for the part of Kaliel. She’s on the book cover and she’s in the trailers, so it would make sense. She’s also got the Kaliel costumes, so she could audition in costume.

Others I’ve thought might suit Kaliel were Evanna Lynch and Chloe Morentz. For Krishani I thought about Skandar Keynes and Dylan Minette.


How many finished stories did you write before seeing your first book published? Do you think you'll ever go back to them and try again?

I wrote about seven short stories. I never thought of myself as a writer despite the fact that the other kids would constantly ask to borrow my stories for silent reading. They weren’t very good, but people seemed to enjoy reading them.

There’s only one that I wrote and shared with my Pastor that I’m working on revamping. It’s called The New Doll and it was a four part series about an evil doll, twins, indie rock, hot boys, witchcraft and Osborne Village (aka “The Village”) My Pastor was pretty disturbed from the short story version of it, and so it stuck out as “the one” to try to do something with.

What is one thing you'd like your readers to take away from your book(s)?


I want my readers to have an emotional response to the story. It’s a sad story, and if at the end of the day I can make someone cry, then that’s my goal. (I know, I’m weird)

What will your next book be about?

My next couple of books are all The Ferryman and The Flame Series. Flame of Justice is the second book in the series and Flame of the Apocalypse is the third book. I’m really excited as these two books take the story in the opposite direction. They’re gritty, hot, violent, and heart wrenching.

Part Two: All about you


If you weren't writing what do you think you'd be doing?

I would be reading minds, actually I do read minds when I’m not writing. I also read books, hang out with my kids, help my husband with his store and his convention, or something . . . I have a bust life!


What was life like for you when YOU were a teen?
Can we not talk about it? I was the crazy girl that talked to herself in the hallways because truth be told, I had psychic ability that I had no idea how to use . . . A lot of what I write about is stuff I’ve experienced in some way, shape or form. The rest of is just added imagination.

Do you have a book crush? Who is it?

*bblush* If only Sam Roth were a real boy. I’d likely buy his CD’s and go to his concerts. I’d be happy to have the chance to meet him, if only to get him to sign something ;) (and no I don’t feel the same way about Cole)


You are stuck in a time loop. Do you a) try to brainstorm your way out of it b) be content knowing you'll live forever (even if they are the same moments over and over again) or c) none of the above (in which case you would...)?

c) None of the above because we ARE in a time loop. Let me try to explain it. So the Earth spins, night, day, night, day, we travel around the Sun, Sun travels around the black hole in the center of the milky way, everything is always moving in a circle, time IS a series of cycles. The only way to go back is to rewind all of it at once. Think about cassette tapes, when you were at the end of the song or the tape you had to rewind it to hear the song again, but it played exactly the same as it did the first time.

Time is like that, we’ve already been here, done that many times, and each time we do it over again, we do it exactly the same as we did the first time.

Time Loops a la Miss Peregine’s Home for Peculiar Children are different, that’s a completely different science involving alternate dimensions and such because the time loop would superimpose over the existing reality. To create that time loop you have to remove yourself from the entire cycle that you’re on now.

So if I were in a time loop, I would do nothing but wait for the next day because without knowing the person resetting the loop, if I waited it out, time would continue moving forward like always.

If you were to write non-fiction, what subject would you write about? Why does it interest you?


I actually do write non-fiction and it’s about psychic development and metaphysics. I write it because I have a PhD in Metaphysical Science and I teach Metaphysical Therapy. My Non-Fiction is basically a collection of my lectures in print form.

Epilogue: Outro

What advice would you give your teen readers about life?


Don’t be afraid to be different, believe in the impossible, and never stop learning.

My motto for life comes from a song by Tegan and Sara called “Just Me”, I think it applies to everyone.

“All I have to give this world is me, and that’s it,
All I have to show this world is me, and that’s it,
All I have to face this world is me, and that’s it,



Thank you, Rhiannon!


Look forward to seeing more about Rhiannon and her book Flame of Surrender in the coming months :)


Summary for Flame of Surrender by Rhiannon Paille

The boy who follows death meets the girl who could cause the apocalypse.

Krishani thinks he’s doomed until he meets Kaliel, the one girl on the island of Avristar who isn’t afraid of him. She’s unlike the other girls, she swims with merfolk, talks to trees and blooms flowers with her touch. What he doesn’t know is that she’s a flame, one of nine individually hand crafted weapons, hidden in the body of a seemingly harmless girl.

Nobody has fallen in love with a flame until now. She becomes Krishani’s refuge from the dreams of death and the weather abilities he can’t control. Striking down thousand year old trees with lightning isn’t something he tries to do, it just happens. When the Ferryman dies, Krishani knows that he’s the next and that a lifetime of following death is his destiny.

And Kaliel can’t come with him. The Valtanyana are hunting the flames, the safest place for her is Avristar. Krishani can’t bear to leave her, and one innocent mistake grants the Valtanyana access to their mystical island. They’re coming for Kaliel, and they won’t stop until every last living creature on Avristar is dead. She has to choose, hide, face them, or awaken the flame and potentially destroy herself.



The book will be available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and more. In the meantime, you can find Flame of Surrender on Goodreads.

Find more from Rhiannon Paille at the following places:
Website: http://rhiannonpaille.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/psychicrhiannon 
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/RhiannonPaille
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4653530.Rhiannon_Paille

No comments:

Post a Comment