Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Books I Don't Have: Waiting on Wednesday, On My Wishlist, and Recently TBR'd

Here are all my memes I'm participating in which I can highlight books I want to read, own, or am coveting. Enjoy!


Waiting on Wednesday


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:


Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
Release date: September 27, 2011
Once upon a time, Hazel and Jack were best friends. They had been best friends since they were six, spending hot Minneapolis summers and cold Minneapolis winters together, dreaming of Hogwarts and Oz, superheroes and baseball. Now that they were eleven, it was weird for a boy and a girl to be best friends. But they couldn't help it - Hazel and Jack fit, in that way you only read about in books. And they didn't fit anywhere else.

And then, one day, it was over. Jack just stopped talking to Hazel. And while her mom tried to tell her that this sometimes happens to boys and girls at this age, Hazel had read enough stories to know that it's never that simple. And it turns out, she was right. Jack's heart had been frozen, and he was taken into the woods by a woman dressed in white to live in a palace made of ice. Now, it's up to Hazel to venture into the woods after him. Hazel finds, however, that these woods are nothing like what she's read about, and the Jack that Hazel went in to save isn't the same Jack that will emerge. Or even the same Hazel.

Inspired by Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen," Breadcrumbs is a story of the struggle to hold on, and the things we leave behind.

I can't tell from the synopsis if this is supposed to be middle grade or young adult, but well...sounds like either one might enjoy it. I heard great things about this one from Misty from The Book Rat. Hopefully I will like it too! 

On My Wishlist






On My Wishlist is a fun weekly event hosted by Book Chick City and runs every Saturday. It's where I list all the books I desperately want but haven't actually bought yet. They can be old, new or forthcoming. It's also an event that you can join in with too - Mr Linky is always at the ready for you to link your own 'On My Wishlist' post. If you want to know more click here.

Today I'm highlighting a recent addition to my wishlist.



 Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared.
Once upon a time, my name was not Alice.

Once upon a time, I didn’t know how lucky I was.

When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over.

Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her.

This is Alice’s story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget.

I recently read Grace by Elizabeth Scott (my review) and enjoyed it overall. This story sounds even better so I had to immediately go and add it to my wishlist!


You can see my full wishlist here.

Recently TBR'd

Here are a few highlights from my TBR, recently added to my list.



 The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

The Victorian language of flowers was used to express emotions: honeysuckle for devotion, azaleas for passion, and red roses for love. But for Victoria Jones, it has been more useful in communicating feelings like grief, mistrust and solitude. After a childhood spent in the foster care system, she is unable to get close to anybody, and her only connection to the world is through flowers and their meanings. Now eighteen, Victoria has nowhere to go, and sleeps in a public park, where she plants a small garden of her own. When her talent is discovered by a local florist, she discovers her gift for helping others through the flowers she chooses for them. But it takes meeting a mysterious vendor at the flower market for her to realise what's been missing in her own life, and as she starts to fall for him, she's forced to confront a painful secret from her past, and decide whether it's worth risking everything for a second chance at happiness. "The Language of Flowers" is a heartbreaking and redemptive novel about the meaning of flowers, the meaning of family, and the meaning of love.

Actually, I just found out that I won this in a giveaway. So not only did I add it to my TBR, I will also not have to wait for the 15 people at the library to read this before me. Yay!



Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself? 

It just looks so good. I'm not entirely sure of the fairies (or "winged creatures", what does that mean???). It doesn't always capture my imagination like other creatures do. But I definitely want to give this one a go!



Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey

“It seemed so right. Danny was mine, I was his, and that wasn’t going to work if he was dead. So I would make him not dead, not anymore. I didn’t think any further than what it would feel like to kiss him again, to wrap my arms around him and bury my head against his shoulder.
That was my first mistake. It also turned out to be the biggest.”


When her boyfriend, Danny, is killed in a car accident, Wren can’t imagine living without him. Wild with grief, she uses the untamed powers she’s inherited to bring him back. But the Danny who returns is just a shell of the boy she once loved.

Wren has spent four months keeping Danny hidden, while her life slowly unravels around her. Then Gabriel DeMarnes transfers to her school and somehow, inexplicably, he can sense her secret. Wren finds herself drawn to Gabriel, who is so much more alive than the ghost of the boy she loved. But Wren can’t turn her back on Danny or the choice she made for him—and she realizes she must find a way to make things right, even if it means breaking her own heart.

Amy Garvey’s transcendent teen debut is perfect for fans of Shiver and Beautiful Creatures. Wren’s unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.
I now have this one on hold at the library. Even though it's now released though, it probably wont be available for another few weeks, so it's still TBR for me!


You can see my full TBR list here.


So, what are you waiting for? What's on your wishlist? What have you added recently? Leave me a comment or a link for me to check out :)



4 comments:

  1. Wow, you are waiting on a lot this week! ;)

    At least Breadcrumbs will be out in 6 days, so not too long to wait on that one... I am also looking forward to Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Cold Kiss!

    Great picks this week :)

    You can see my WoW post for this week at the link below-- happy reading!!

    Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Breadcrumbs sounds adorable! Just added it to my TBR list. Some of the others sound all spooky and interesting as well (I'm looking at you cold kiss).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything on here is awesome! Breadcrumbs sounds pretty cute :) Awesome choices!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading Breadcrumbs now, it seems like a middle grade book but the almost lyrical writing could be appealing to YA and adult readers as well. I read Living Dead Girl but chose not to review it because I couldn't work out how I felt about it other than extremely disturbed. It was definitely a book that stays with you long after reading it. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. I am dying to read Smoke and Bone and Cold Kiss. Those are both on my wishlist as well!

    Donna @ The Happy Booker

    ReplyDelete