Thursday, September 15, 2011

Book in Review: Grace by Elizabeth Scott


Cover:



Publisher:

Dutton

Summary:

Grace was raised to be an Angel, a herald of death by suicide bomb. But she refuses to die for the cause, and now Grace is on the run, daring to dream of freedom. In search of a border she may never reach, she travels among malevolent soldiers on a decrepit train crawling through the desert. Accompanied by the mysterious Kerr, Grace struggles to be invisible, but the fear of discovery looms large as she recalls the history and events that delivered her uncertain fate.

Told in spare, powerful prose by acclaimed author Elizabeth Scott, this tale of a dystopian near future will haunt readers long after they've reached the final page.


Why I Read This:

The summary sounded fantastic, the cover pulled me in, I had to have it!

Thoughts:

I like this book. I really do. To show that not every terrorist has a choice, to show that both sides are quite often just two sides of the same coin. Elizabeth Scott has attempted to bring light to issues that many young readers want and need to explore.

In a near future world where a dictator rules the land, the people send Angels as suicide bombers to try and fight him. Grace is an Angel on the run. She was sent to bomb the Minister of Culture and chose for herself a different future - one that involved life, not death. She is helped by a young man on a train, both of whom are trying to escape this country, and finds that although he is was once a prodigy of the dictator himself, the two of them (and their worlds) aren't so different after all.

This one was an interesting read. I loved the near future world and the chilling atmosphere that the story conveyed. However, I felt the book could have been so much more than it was. We see very little of the world that Grace is trying to escape, we know absolutely nothing of the one she is trying to go to, and instead get a very fragmented story that is at times hard to follow. In fact, because of the lyrical quality of the writing, I found two or three paragraphs at a time would go by before I realised I really had no idea what was going on. I had to re-read things multiple times before I could picture them in my head. And most of the time I was left to fill in the gaps of description myself.

Also, the conversations between Grace and Jerusha kept going in circles. It started to become a bit irritating having to read the same thing over and over just in slightly different ways. I'm sure it was written that way for a reason - perhaps because of the younger audience? But I really wish that that space was used to fill in more of the story.

So, overall I enjoyed the story for what it tried to do and most of all the realisations that Grace came to about the way she was raised, but found much to be desired.


My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.


3 comments:

  1. Ooh yah, I totally agree with your review! This was a good one, it made me think... but it seemed more like a philosophical treatise because of all those round and round conversations. I would have liked more background on the regime and, like you mentioned, more details about where they were going to end up. It was definitely an interesting read, but I can't say I enjoyed reading it a lot. However it does impress me; I'm pretty sure Elizabeth Scott can write anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I agree, she can definitely write. I am looking forward to reading Living Dead Girl and more of her books in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I was actually REALLY underwhelmed by this book. It just really didn't do it for me, and I really ended up being a lot disappointed by it. I agree with a lot of what you said- there just wasn't enough information, too much of what we were given was just repeated and there just wasn't a connection.

    I haven't read all of Scott's works yet, but I'm about half way through & I've come to the decision that she's much better at the lighter side of Contemporary, which is strange, because I normally much prefer the darker, tough stuff. But not in Scott's case. My favorite of hers is Something, Maybe. :)

    ReplyDelete