Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Book in Review: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2) by Rachel Hawkins


Cover:



Publisher:

Hyperion

Summary:

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?


Why I Read This:

I read Hex Hall #1 earlier this year and liked it. I am attempting to read as many 2011 releases as I can this year.

This also counts towards my Project Fill in the Gaps reading challenge.

Thoughts:

This was another fun installment of the Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins.

In Demonglass, Sophie spends the summer with her father, council members, and two mysterious demons whose exisistence is not only a mystery to the council but to themselves as well. Sophie must decide if she wants to go through The Removal to get rid of her demon side all while dealing with attitude from everyone around her, visions of a terrifying future, and Archer's involvement in The Eye.

Like I said, this was another fun book and I really enjoyed seeing the world of all these paranormal beings (or, "The Prodigium") once again. I did miss Hex Hall, but it was nice to see the outside world and a bit more of the history outside of the school. The mystery behind Nick and Daisy's creation really had me going. It was a great opportunity for Sophie and her father to get to know each other and I really enjoyed those aspects of the book.

I am also impressed by Rachel Hawkin's ability to create two amazing guys for Sophie to drool over. When she's with Archer, I'm rooting for Archer. And when she's with Cal, I'm rooting for Cal. I really cannot decide between the two which one I want Sophie to end up with! So I think I'm on Team Iwantemboth!

I think I didn't quite enjoy this book as much as Hex Hall. I liked the story in the first one better and a few things here were a little too predictable for me. But I definitely did enjoy it and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.


My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I read a library copy.

Related Posts:


Book in Review: Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1) by Rachel Hawkins


3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed HEx Hall so I'm glad to see this one is fun as well. Great review! :)

    Giselle at Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot that this book came out! I really need to read it after having loved Hex Hall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Giselle :)

    Natalie, don't forget to add the next book, Spell Bound to your list as well! It comes out March 2012.

    ReplyDelete