Monday, August 15, 2011

Vacation Read-a-thon Recap


I am back from the most wonderful vacation ever! I spent 3 nights at the amazing Couples Resort inside Algonquin Provincial Park (Ontario, Canada). I have never been so pampered/spoiled in my life. If you ever have the chance to go there, it is a must! Thank you to everyone who commented telling me to have a good time. I did :)

While you can stlill enter my Vacation Giveaway for your choice of one out of ten kindle ebooks, I was too excited about my read-a-thon vacation to wait.

Thursday

The trip up to Algonquin Park was extremely productive reading-wise for me. I picked out 4 books plus 3 manga to take up there with me. I am such a" multiple books at once" reader that I thought I better go prepared.


My first thought while heading out of the city was to make a start on Divergent by Veronica Roth. I was so immediately captivated by her world, I could not put it down! I didn't pick up another book for the entire drive down there and read 130 pages by the time we made it to the hotel.


On the way to Algonquin Park


Later that night I thought I might read something else but I just couldn't get Divergent out of my head. I read another 20 pages before it was time to go to sleep.

Friday

Friday was a trip to the park's Visitor Center and a walk along the Beaver Trail in the morning. This was - incredibly breath-taking. Especially the lookout from the Vistor's Center.


View from Algonquin Park Visitor's Center

I read about 10 pages of Vampire Knight, Vol 11 on the way back to the hotel but once there I just had get back to what was happening in Divergent. Throughout the day, I managed to read another 50 pages. I also managed to read about 30 pages of Kimi Ni Todoke vol 1.


Bookmarks are like magnets to me. I'm drawn right in.

It should also be mentioned, that I dreamt about the Dauntless (see...I couldn't even get Divergent out of my head while unconscious...)

This frog was well camoflaged.


Saturday

Saturday was a brief walk along the Bear Trail next to our hotel. It was a fun walk but not well marked, so we got lost a few times. Luckily, we made it back in time for our spa appointment! Then we had lunch, hopped in the pool/hot-tub for a while and spent the whole afternoon reading :)


Apparently, even tree roots are breath-taking here.


I managed to read another 150 pages of Divergent and after supper read another 30 pages of Kimi Ni Todoke.

Sunday

We didn't have anything planned for Sunday morning, as it was our last few hours at the hotel. I woke up and decided to relax on the balcony for a while. I read about 30 more pages of Divergent before deciding I better go back inside and pack everything up so we could leave after breakfast.

View from the balcony.


On the way home I finished off Divergent, about 56 pages. Then I finished off Kimi Ni Todoke, vol 1, about 130 pages.

Driving out of Algonquin Park.


Once I got home I read about 15 pages of a review book, Carry on the Flame by Jodine Turner (for my blog 100 Stars Or Less) on my kindle. But I was incredibly jet-lagged by that point and feeling quite disoriented so I decided to call it a day after that!

So that's my vacation / read-a-thon. It completely took me by surprise that out of all my novels I would only pick up one, but then Divergent was so incredibly captivating, I just had to keep reading and propel myself into Veronica Roth's world further and further.

Total pages read: about 706 (including manga pages)
Books read from: 4
Books finished: 2

2 comments:

  1. Divergent has a secret power to make us keep reading and forget everything else. I love the pictures. Couldn't see the frog at first!




    - Mary [Anxirium]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary! Yes, definitely secret powers :)

    ReplyDelete