Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Book in Review: Elemental Reality (Elemental #1) by Cesya MaRae Cuono


Cover:



Publisher:
Revolution Publishing

Summary:

When Callie Pierce was ten, her mother disappeared without a trace. On the eve of her disappearance twelve years later, the Earth seemingly comes alive. The elements speak to Callie, and that's only the beginning. Everything she has ever known was a twisted fabrication to protect her. Now the truth is set free. Callie and her sister are more powerful than any Faerie ever born. Now they have to use their powers to save their mother and family from the evil hands of fate that threaten to tear them apart. Welcome to her elemental reality.

Thoughts:

Elemental Reality was a wonderful, fun read. For a book about fae, it had a unique perspective that I really quite appreciated. Instead of dealing with evil faeries or summer court vs winter court, etc., the author here has decided to pit the fae against demons.

Another thing that made this book unique was the bond that Callie shared with her sister. They felt so much like friends, sometimes even more so than Callie and her two BFF's Ady and Emery. It was so refreshing to not have sibling rivalry. Okay, there's a little bit of that but it's more of a teasing relationship than a jealous hatred kind of rivalry. On the same note, Callie and Lola, although different ages also get to share the discovery that they are faeries as well as the training. Some of my favourite scenes from the book are when they are learning together, and working together to show the older adults what they are capable of. Also, I just have to say, Lola may be my favourite character. She is so loveable!

Then there is Oli, who Callie immediately falls in love with because,of their dazelling faerie bond! I will let you discover what that means for yourself. Oli is totally stunning and cute and has all these funny little Aussie terms he uses throughout the book. And Callie and Oli are totally right for each other.

The elemental powers that the faeries have are great too. I loved the way Cesya described them in detail and how they work. It was fascinating to see all the powers in action and made all the battles that happen between the demons and Callie's family all the more interesting.

My only dissappointment is that this book kept going in different directions and none in the directions I was expecting. Usually, that's a good thing because I like a surprise. However, I was already pretty won over by how unique all the faerie elements felt that I kind of just wanted the plot to stay the course instead of having more twists.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a great blend of action, romance, sisterly love, and  fantasy. It won me over on faeries, which I have been avoiding due to some terrible picks in the past. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the next installments.



My Rating:


3.5/5

Disclaimer:
Review copy from publisher.

Related Posts:
Blog Tour: Character Interview with Callie from Elemental Reality


1 comment:

  1. It's pretty cool how unique this one seems. I like how the sister relationship was in the forefront, too... you don't see that a lot.

    ReplyDelete