Thursday, July 28, 2011

Interview with Jenna-Lynne Duncan, author of the upcoming YA novel Hurricane


We have a special guest today. I'd like to introduce you to Jenna-Lynne Duncan. She is the author of Hurricane, coming at the end of August 2011. I was so excited about the premise of her book, I just had to ask her for interview. Hurricane is set around the time of Hurricane Katrina and takes place in New Orleans. Please read more about Jenna-Lynne and her book below!

Prelude: Intro

Tell us a little about yourself and the book(s) you've written...


I just graduated from the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota with degrees in Political Science, International Studies, and Middle Eastern Studies. I was born and raised in New Orleans, LA. and enjoy spending time with family, traveling, reading, writing, and scuba diving.

My debut novel Hurricane is scheduled for release August 29th, the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. It is the first book in the series and I am currently writing the second novel as well as other YA novels.


Part One: Your books and writing

Why do you write? What got you going?
-I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have always liked to write and wrote a ton of short stories and poetry during my youth. When I was a teen, I attempted a novel but that was a disaster and all hand written. The idea was good and I still might make it into a novel.

Do you have a favourite line or two from one of your book(s)? What is it?
Here is a fun quote from Hurricane:

“My kidnapper boyfriend. My boyfriend. I liked how it sounded, how it rolled off my tongue.
“Did you say something?” Hayden said, his attention still on me.
What did I say out loud? “Hm? No, not me.” I was shaking my head in embarrassment.”

Would you like to see your book turned into a movie? Who would play the main characters?
-That would be a dream come true! I love books-turned-movies and there’s nothing better than reading a book and being able to see it acted out. There is a website (www.StoryCasting.com) that fans can cast the characters they’d like to see play the role in the movie versions of their favourite books. They contacted me and we should have a Hurricane page set up shortly so stay tuned!

Would you describe your stories are sweet, savory, sour, or salty?
How about sweet…with a touch of Cajun Spice!

What will your next book be about?
I am currently writing the second book in the Hurricane series as well as couple other YA novels. One is a Dystopian Romance and another is a paranormal romance.


Part Two: All about you

If you weren't writing what do you think you'd be doing?
-Working for the government as a Foreign Service Officer, with the FBI or a non-profit organization.

What is your favourite tv show? Favourite movie?
There are a lot of great TV shows out there that I like; True Blood, Rookie Blue, Glee. And my favorite movie of all time is A Love Song for Bobby Long- a widely unknown movie but set in New Orleans and really good!

You are invited to a masquerade/halloween party. Who (or what) do you dress as?
-I love the style of dresses in the Victorian and Gregorian era. I do own one for Civil War reenactments (No Southern jokes, please! (:  ) so I would have to make up a character to go with it!

What is the first line of the first book in your bookcase?
Fun! “Things had been getting a little better until I got a letter from my dead sister.” Dead Girls Don’t Write Letters by Gail Giles.

Epilogue: Outro


What advice would you give your teen readers about life?

I think the mistake of some YA writers is treating their readers like children. Most teenagers are responsible, mature and should be allowed to figure things out on their own and at their own pace. Although, yes, I do have a lot of advice I wish I could tell the teenage ‘me’ but honestly, I don’t think she’d listen!



Summary for Hurricane by Jenna-Lynne Duncan:

I anxiously looked around, my heart palpitating, just in time to see an alligator slink into the green algae covered water that was on either side of us. I swallowed hard, and my heart raced even faster. Alligators were a different type of predator—the one thing I was afraid of. Now I was on my own personal swamp tour. What if my kidnappers left me in the middle of a swamp with five of them creeping up on me? I’ve had that nightmare before and—oh no, if my dreams really are a sign of the future—I couldn’t breathe now.

Adriana couldn’t decide what was worse—that Hurricane Katrina was heading for New Orleans, or that she might not survive her kidnapping to see the potential effects. She had trusted Hayden, even fallen for him, and now he and his brother Luke were taking her deeper and deeper into the Bayou. Why had two of her classmates, the mysterious Boudreaux brothers, kidnapped her?
Why had Adriana’s dreams started predicting the future? Most importantly, would she make it out of the Bayou alive…




Jenna-Lynne has years of writing experience including short-stories and poetry. Hurricane is her first novel, and she is planning a series.

In addition to writing, Jenna-Lynne has extensive experience in the fields of Political Science, International Studies, and Middle Eastern Studies, from studying at the University of St. Thomas and other various positions. She is multi-lingual in 4 different languages.





Find more from Jenna-Lynne at the following places:
Website: www.Jenna-Lynne.com
Email: Jenna-Lynne@DivertirPublishing.com
Twitter:  www.Twitter.com/JennaLynneD or @JennaLynneD
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Jenna-Lynne-Duncan/198137450227636



1 comment:

  1. Wow! Adriana is in a world of hurt!!! Sounds like a VERY suspenseful novel. I enjoy this time of author interview and will be checking out storycasting.com as it's fun to see who the general public would choose if they were the casting director.

    ReplyDelete