Friday, July 29, 2011

Book in Review: Hereafter (Hereafter #1) by Tara Hudson



Cover & Publisher




 Published by: HarperCollins

Why I Read This
2011 YA Debut Author Challenge.

Summary

Can there truly be love after death?

Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive.

Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever.

Thrilling and evocative, with moments of pure pleasure, Hereafter is a sensation you won't want to miss.



(Goodreads) 

Thoughts


 I was completely enticed and entranced by this gorgeous debut book by Tara Hudson. From the very first pages I felt like I was floating into a world that I wasn't going to want to let go of.

Hereafter is the first book I have read that has a ghost protaganist as it's main character. I've always been fascinated to see if this kind of story could work for me, I just have never had a chance to pick one up until now. I'm so glad I did. I really do think I would have been missing out on something fantastic if I hadn't finally stepped out of my comfort zone a little and tried it.

Amelia is like the perfect ghost. She seems shy and timid at first, not really understanding everything around her and afraid of what she'll find out about herself if she tries to find out. She doesn't know what her purpose is and why she is still around, but she does know that the living are very important to her.

Then comes Joshua, who falls off the bridge right in front of her and almost dies too. But he doesn't. And then...a miraculous thing happens and she discovers that he can see her - the first person living or dead to do so in the ten years she's been dead. I loved Joshua! Just like Amelia, his spirit seems shy and timid at first, and both of them slowly get to know each other. As they do so, their bond deepens and they grow together gaining more confidence about themselves and their abilities as the days go by. It was so nice here, to see this kind of development in not just the main character. In fact, as the book progressed it seemed like all the characters grew in some way.
It was wonderful to watch Amelia and Joshua as they discovered the answers to their mysteries. And spoilers aside, I really loved all the ghosty goodness. There's more to the afterworld then Tara Hudson let's the reader know, and she really does tease you with little bits of information here and there. This makes the conflicts between Amelia and other characters in the story all the more interesting as information is used as a way for some to gain power over others. It also makes me excited that this is only the first in a series, of which I'm sure we'll be learning a lot more of the afterworld.

I loved this book for all these things, but what I loved it the most for was the quality of writing. The story is told in kind of sing-song voice that matches Amelia and Joshua's character perfectly and enveloped me completely.






My Rating







Disclaimer

I read a library copy.


3 comments:

  1. glad to hear. this continues to get good reviews. i'm considering it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I like the sounds of it!! It's going on my to-read list!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds sooo good! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, you got me very excited for this book! If it's as enticing as you said, I'm dying to read it! :)

    Great, thorough review

    ReplyDelete