Thursday, July 21, 2011

Book in Review: Clarity (Clarity #1) by Kim Harrington


Cover & Publisher






 Published by: Scholastic Point


Why I Read This

2011 YA Debut Author Challenge.


Summary

When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth?
This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats.
Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.
And a curse.
When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case - but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother - who has supernatural gifts of his own - becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?


(Goodreads) 


Thoughts

 I decided to write this review in list format starting with the words:

Clarity was...

...a surpirse. The twists and turns kept me on my toes. And after not being surprised at all by last few reads this pretty much made my day. I kept thinking it was one person who was the murderer and then something would happen and I'd change my mind again. I loved that!

...an amazing girl. How could I not love her? She pretty much deserved a lot better than she got and even though the author showed that Clarity was far from perfect, she also showed that perfection shouldn't matter. We need each other to survive this crazy life. Clarity felt special from the start even though she could have represented any girl (with psychic abilities).

...full of hot guys. Especially Gabriel...dreamy, dreamy, Gabriel *sigh*.

...a nice romp into a physic dreamland. Clarity could see images of past events, her brother Perry could talk to ghosts, and her mother could read thoughts. Did I mention the new physic in town who said she could see the future? Yeah...it was pretty much awesome on this front.

...a little bit too...cliche at times. I'm talking about the different plot points and plot devices here. There is actually a scene in the book that I remember watching on an episode of a popular teen mystery show a few years back. Not that it was exactly the same. But a little too much the same. And a lot of things in the book were like that. That feeling that I'd seen a lot of this before, just in different ways and in different corners of the entertainment world, kept nagging at me. They were put together well, just not truly original enough for my taste, I guess.

...a well written book and a fast read. Although I did have a little trouble getting into the story at first, the twists and turns just kept building and then I just had to know what was going to happen next.

After I finished reading Clarity, I looked up the sequals to find out if there was any information on them yet. I'm so happy I did. Perception looks amazing. It's exactly what I was hoping for when Clarity ended. Can't wait. I have a feeling I'm going to like it even more than this one!




My Rating








3.75/5 but I've rounded up for Goodreads and the graphic!



Disclaimer


I read a library copy.


3 comments:

  1. So glad I am not the only one who enjoyed the first in this new series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this for a while now. Great review! I'll be reading it soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won this in a giveaway a while back, it looks so great! Sounds like just what I need right now. :) & I love a book full of hot guys, always.

    ReplyDelete