Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Book in Review: Flying Blind (The Dragon Diaries #1) by Deborah Cooke

Cover & Publisher


 Published by: New American Library


Why I Read This

It looked like a great read, something that I would enjoy.

It also counts towards the 2011 Debut Author Challenge.

Summary

The next generation of shape-shifting dragons from the popular author of the Dragonfire novels. 

  Zoë Sorensson is perfectly normal, except she's been told she's destined for great things. Zoë's the one female dragon shapeshifter of her kind. But Zoë is at the bottom of the class when it comes to being Pyr and her powers are AWOL, so she's sent to a Pyr boot camp. 

Zoë quickly realizes that she has to master her powers yesterday, because the Pyr are in danger and boot camp is a trap. The Mages want to eliminate all shifters and the Pyr are next in line-unless Zoë and her friends can work together and save their own kind.


(Goodreads) 

Thoughts

This. book. rocks. I bought it with the thought that it was about a dragon shape-shifter so it should tide me over until Vanish, the sequel to Sophie Jordan's Firelight comes out later this year. However, I ended up liking Flying Blind inifitely more and now I'm going to have to read Vanish in order to satisfy my need for Winging It, the second book in Deborah Cooke's Dragon Diaries series.


Flying Blind has everything a dragon loving, shape-shifting, romantic girl who loves adventure, fun, and epic tales could want in a book. There are so many elements to the story that were great I'm not even sure where to start. First of all, Zoe is a wyvern - the pyr only have one female dragon for all of their race at one time. She is like the oracle of the dragon race. She is supposed to be wise and have all of these unique abilities that can help her people. What pressure! Only when the book starts off, Zoe has almost nil abilities and she doesn't even know how to shift into her dragon form yet. She accidently almost shifts (try, one talon!) in front of her classmate while protecting her friend so her father sends her off to dragon "boot camp" to see if she can't master some things and come into her wyvern-ness.


At first "boot camp" annoyed me. Every one was always irritated and mad at each other over the tiniest little things and Zoe was acting like a jerk most of the time. But once it turned out there was a good reason for this, I couldn't believe how much the story picked up. Deborah Cooke has written an extremely exciting book filled with lots of action, twists and turns, and wonderful character development. Seeing the world building come alive through ancient rules and stories was fascinating as well. Did I mention lists? Zoe likes to explain things in numbered lists. I love Zoe for that.


It was a book I didn't want to and couldn't put down. As I said above, I cannot wait for Winging It. I can't even bring myself to read the teaser for it at the end of Flying Blind. I'll be so dissapointed when I can't keep reading! I'm looking forward to seeing more of this world and the characters introduced here and I am now very anxious to get my first Dragonfire series book in the mail as well.


My Rating






Disclaimer
I bought my copy.

5 comments:

  1. Great review and I totally agree Erika

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had passed on this, but I think I'll add it to my TBR now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! I hadn't heard of this one, but I really enjoyed Firelight! (More than I thought I would, actually) Maybe I'll have to check this one out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just received my copy in the mail a few weeks back and have been dying to get down to reading it but life gets in the way, as usual, so maybe your review is the impetus I need to pick it up and start reading.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete