Thursday, June 30, 2011

Book in Review: The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #2) by Carrie Ryan

Cover & Publisher

 
 
 
 Published by: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Why I Read This


I read and loved book #1 in the series.

Summary

Warning: This summary has potential spoilers for those who have not read Book #1, The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves.


(Goodreads) 

Thoughts

Warning: There may be spoilers for book #1 in what is to follow.

I was completely blown away by The Forest of Hands and Teeth when I read it earlier in the year and I was incredibly excited coming out of it knowing that there was a second and third book. It didn't take very long for me to get my hands on a copy of The Dead-Tossed Waves and I read it within only a day or two so it very much lived up to the hype I had created in my own mind.

Here's what I liked about it: The world which we were introduced to in the first book is expanded on ten-fold (I may be exaggerating here, but compared to Mary's original little town there is so much to learn). We learn about cities and towns and various societies that have popped up since the return, we learn about different nuances between the cultures, and most of all we learn about new characters. And we learn about new characters because instead of Mary being at the forefront of this story, her daughter Gabry is. The writing is just as amazing as the first book - I felt heartbroken and scared all over again. My eyes wouldn't leave the pages in case I missed a single moment.

However, I have a little complaint about the story. The plot doesn't differ enough from book #1 for me. There's the same love triangle, who is she going to end up with, thing going on like in the first book, there is something that happens in town to make her leave (with these love triange guys), and the same "stuck in the forest" thing going on. Now, there is enough different between Mary and Gabry's character and well as the changes in scenery and the addition of the socities and towns for this not to matter too much. But it did nag at me a few times while reading through the story which means I can't give the book an absolute perfect rating. 

But wow, after reading this book, I am still floored at the way Carrie Ryan can really make me care about her characters and her world. She is a brilliant writer and I will continue to read all her books as long as she keeps writing.

My Rating


 
 


Disclaimer
 
I read a library copy.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed Forest, so I'm surprised it's taken me so long to pick this one up. But, I'm seriously going to have to pick it up soon! I'm excited that we get to learn more about the world! Great review!

    ReplyDelete