Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Review and WoW: Leviathan Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld

Theme: Steampunk (April 8-14, 2011) 

Today's book of the day comes with a review, and a Waiting on Wednesday: 

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ 


Cover & Publisher

 Published by: Simon Pulse
Why I Read This

I saw Leviathan at the library and thought it looked good.
Summary

Leviathan summary:

Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.


(Goodreads)

Thoughts

This is such a great series that if you haven't read it yet, you're really missing out on! Scott Westerfeld has combined both WW1 history, steampunk, and young adult characters in such a flawness manner I wonder why I've never seen this done before.

The alternative history is fantastic. As readers we get to learn a little bit about the social anxiety of Europe at the time and see a little bit about the culture and although this is obviously changed a lot in Westerfeld's version, I thought it was a good introduction to the issues taking place at the time. It was a good way to get readers interested in the subject matter without the tendency that history can have of being 'dull'.

The steampunk is out of this world! You have the regular steampunkish oil-rig type machines which belong to the Clankers but you also have fabricated animals that are bred to be machines and these belong to the Darwinists. I don't even know how to describe it any more than that. You just have to read it to believe!

The illustrations are just awesome. Westerfelds steampunk world is so believable already, but throw in these illustrations by Keith Thompson and you can really believe it's possible. Genious on the part of whoever decided to put them in there too because it makes a great introduction to steampunk for those readers out there who might have trouble with all the descriptions of the machines and beasties.

Then you have all the characters who are just so incredibly likeable you want to be their friends. I love Alek and I also love Daryn and with the alternate points of view I just kept flipping pages because I couldn't decide who I wanted to spend more time with.

In short: Read these books!
 
My Rating


Buy

Both Leviathan and Behemoth were library copies.
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week I'm waiting on:

Of course, I am waiting on the next book in the series, Goliath. This is also my first time seeing the cover (not sure when it was "revealed"). Very nice. I'm loving that it has both Alek and Daryn on there this time.


☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
Thanks for reading, and have a great day!
~Erika

1 comment:

  1. I loved the first two Leviathan books, even though I wasn't expecting to. And I agree about the illustrations! I wish more books had those. I'm excited to see how it all wraps up, too.
    kathy
    www.readthisinstead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete