Sunday, April 17, 2011

Book in Review: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare

Cover & Publisher


Published by: Margaret K. McElderry Books

Why I Read This

Recommended to me.

For my Fill in the Gaps YA Reading Challenge.

Summary

 When Clary Fray witnesses three tattoo-covered teenagers murder another teen, she is unable to prove the crime because the victim disappears right in front of her eyes, and no one else can see the killers. She learns that the teens are Shadowhunters (humans who hunt and kill demons), and Clary, a mundie (i.e., mundane human), should not be able to see them either. Shortly after this discovery, her mother, Jocelyn, an erstwhile Shadowhunter, is kidnapped. Jocelyn is the only person who knows the whereabouts of The Mortal Cup, a dangerous magical item that turns humans into Shadowhunters. Clary must find the cup and keep it from a renegade sector of Shadowhunters bent on eliminating all nonhumans, including benevolent werewolves and friendly vampires.

(Goodreads)


Thoughts

 Okay, so this is a book I just picked up for whateversies (I just made that word up, you can add it to your dictionaries now). I had been told years ago by a friend that it was one of those books you can't put down. So I just saw it at the library one day and not knowing anything about it picked it up and started reading.

I got a fair bit the way through it and enjoyed it. It was a fast read, the characters were interesting and the story was interesting, but in my opinion, it wasn't really anything special.

And then all the hype for City of Fallen Angels release started. Everyone was ranting and raving about how great the series was and everywhere I turned there it was again. So of course, thinking it was so far a good fast read to pass the time with and not the 5 star "OMG you have to read this!" book that everyone said it was kind of ruined my experience for me. Because after all the hype started I just couldn't get out my head while reading it. And I just kept wondering to myself why everyone was drooling over the series.

I don't know if all the hype hadn't been there if my view of "a good book to pass the time with" would have changed to "OMG you have to read this!" over the course of the story. I'm hoping that maybe it would have. I did enjoy all the twists and turns in the story, I liked that there was some kind of mystery for the main characters to solve, there were mysterious people and history, and a whole new world to discover.

I can only assume that a lot of the hype over the recent release of City of Fallen Angels has to do with the next two books in the series - City of Ashes, and City of Glass. So I am trying not to take my experience with the hype TOO seriously, to keep reading the series and to enjoy it in my own way.

In short, even though I didn't think this book was AMAZING, I would definitely recommend to those who want a fun quick read with an interesting twist in the paranormal fantasy genre (and don't let the number of pages seem daunting to you, it really does go by in a jiffy)!

My Rating


Buy

I read a library copy.



3 comments:

  1. That's about how I thought. It was ok, but I wasn't blown away. I reed it before the hype, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually really enjoy the series, haven't read the latest book though. Don't really want to watch the movie because I think it'll ruin the series...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this series yet but I have heard that it is really good! I'm glad to hear your opinion on it so that I can keep an open mind about it and not have to high of expectations and then be dissapointed! Thanks for the review!

    Tristan @ reviewsfromthehammock.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete